Gold Newbie
Atbash

My computer does not detect my Xperia U

When I plug my Xperia U into my pc, I am unable to access the files in it. I can't add files or edit files inside it using my computer. The USB connection mode is "Media Transfer Mode" (MTP). I can't change this to any other mode and I can't initiate a mass storage mode.

Because of these problems, I can't add files to my phone or back up my phone using the PC companion as the PC companion is asking me to switch to a different storage mode to back up my phone, but I'm not able to switch to this mode. I've tried going to Setting>Xperia>Connectivity>USB connection mode, but it won't let me change the mode.

I would appreciate if somebody could advise.

Please use plain text.
O2_MichelleMc
Topics: 19
Kudos: 4,566
Solutions: 438

Re: My computer does not detect my Xperia U

Have you installed the disc that came with the phone, are you trying to add files using the Media Go program for the Experia?

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please use plain text.
Gold Newbie
Atbash

I have no disk drive on my PC, I installed the "Sony PC Companion" programme directly from my phone. What I'm trying to do is look at and and edit the files on my phone by opening it like I would a USB drive or SD card that is plugged into my computer. When I plug it in though, it doesn't show up on my computer.

I would also like to back up my phone on my PC, but I can't because the programme is telling me that the phone is in the wrong connection mode and the phone won't let me change connection modes.

Please use plain text.
O2_MichelleMc

Please download media go and let me know if that works

http://mediago.sony.com/enu/download

I have an Xperia and cannot edit files by opening it like I would a USB either, I have to do it all through Media Go

http://mediago.sony.com/enu/download
Please use plain text.
Gold Newbie
Atbash

But I still can't back up my phone. When I try to, my PC won't let me proceed untill I change the way it connects, but my phone won't let me change the way I connect.

Please use plain text.
Gold Newbie
Atbash

I do not recieve a prompt when plugged in and using media go. From what I can tell, media go does not recognise that my phone is plugged in.

Please use plain text.
O2_Fiona
Topics: 8
Kudos: 4,567
Solutions: 486

Have you tried different usb ports or any other computer? Is the same error occurring?

Please use plain text.
Gold Newbie
Atbash

I Have tried every USB port on the computer and it hasn't worked. I've tried those USB ports with other devices and they've worked fine. I've restarted the computer, I've restarted the phone, I've taken the battery out of the phone and put it back in. The phone says that it's hooked up to a computer. it says "internal storage has been connected to a PC" put the PC doesn't respond at all except that it opens the PC companion.

When I use the PC companion, I can't use the back up facilities, or the file managment programme that comes with it. They either don't allow me to proceed or don't initialise at all.

Please use plain text.
O2_MichelleMc

Can you check if the phone software is fully up to date please. If it is, I'm afraid you will need to contact Sony ericsson directly as it sounds like a software issue if it is not being recognised.

Please use plain text.
billbond4
Topics: 363
Kudos: 7,209
Solutions: 70

I assume your using windows xp?
Try updating windows media player as its the mtp driver that's causing you the problems.
I got a micro usb adapter and just copied files from laptop to my xperia p using the adapter and a usb stick and the astro application from the android market.

Posted from Samsung GT-I9100
Please use plain text.
billbond4

Btw you can't change connection mode as you have no microsd in your phone to mount

Please use plain text.
Gold Newbie
Atbash

I'm using windows 7. The media player is fully updated. I've never had a problem like this with similar devices on this computer and the only reason I'm trying to change the connection is because the back up software that came bundled with the phone is telling me to.

Please use plain text.
billbond4

You shouldn't be having problem on windows 7. Did you reboot since installing the software?

Please use plain text.
Gold Newbie
Atbash

I have rebooted my computer several times, nothing seems to work. The Pc Companion software appears to recognise that it's connected to an Xperia phone, but none of the software will let me access any of the information within the phone.

Please use plain text.
billbond4

I tried it on my Xperia U on Windows Vista and it works ok.

How about uninstalling the PC Companion reboot and reinstalling it again?

Please use plain text.
Gold Newbie
Atbash

I've uninstalled and rebooted and installed it again and it's still not working

It might be significant that the companion thinks that my phone's model number is ST25 but my phone thinks that it's ST25i.

Please use plain text.
billbond4

That doesnt make any difference it shows up as ST25 for me on the PC companion.

Have you tried a different USB cable?

Please use plain text.
billbond4

[ Edited ]

BTW my xperia P, (LT22i) shows up as a LT22 in the PC companion.

Have you looked in here for a possible solution?

http://talk.sonymobile.com/community/support/xperia_2012_family/xperia_u

Please use plain text.
billbond4

Have you the latest version of the Sony PC Companion?

As my phones are in MTP mode and i can do backups and browse the files on the phone using the file manager

Please use plain text.
Gold Newbie
Atbash

Yes, I just downloaded and reinstalled the Sony PC Companion. I can only assume that it's the latest version

When I connect my phone, the pc companion says that it's connected. When I try to open the file manager nothing happens, When I try to back up my phone, it tells me to disconnect the memory card, I can only assume it's talking about the SD card that my phone doesn't even have a slot for, and won't let me proceed until I do. Media Go doesn't recognise that anything is plugged in, so I can't add music to my phone.

I have tried three different USB cables in each of the thre different USB slots on my computer and none of them have worked.

A small USB logo appears at the top of my phone and it tells me that internal storage has been connected to the PC, but aside from charging the battery that is the extent to which my phone recognises that it is connected to a PC.

Please use plain text.
billbond4

Sounds very strange, the PC Companion knows the phone is connected but you cant browse anything on the phone.

What version of firmware do you have running on the phone?

If your not having any luck, try getting one of these 

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-micro-B-Male-USB-Male-Adapter-Converter-Genger-changer-black-/15084676104... and use a usb stick to move files between the phone and PC and vice versa

Please use plain text.
Bronze Contributor
Macg

I just got the new "Bond" phone - Experia T - and I'm having the same problem.

I did a search and there seemed to be a common consensus that it's a cable problem.

That the one supplied is a "charger" cable and that I should get a "data" cable.

If this is correct then why did the "charger" cable manage to install PC companion?

This leads me to suspect that it's not a "cable problem".

Hopefully the ever-helpful tech guys on Henry St will set me right :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
billbond4

What os is on your pc?
No difference between cables.

Please use plain text.
billbond4

If there is a memory card in the phone you should see it mounted as maybe e: drive

Please use plain text.
Bronze Contributor
Macg

Win XP and OS X 10.6.

Yes it has memory card but PC not reading it - it's not showing up in My Computer on LT and the Mac doesn't want to know about it.
Please use plain text.