Silver Contributor
jasonh

MSISDN format

Hi mods,

I've installed an App on my Sensation that uses the MSISDN number stored on my SIM card.  I'm getting an error in the app about my phone number not being valid.  The app uses the MSISDN number stored on the SIM.  The number being displayed in Settings > About > Phone Identity > Phone number is 035386xxxxxxx

I've checked on all-knowing Wikipedia and the format of an MSISDN should be as per the information below.  So I think my MSISDN should be 35386xxxxxxx (without the leading 0)

The website for this app says that this is a common problem and in their FAQs say that this problem can be fixed by my operator by an over-the-air fix using the "Send MSISDN to SIM" tool.  Is it possible to get this fixed OTA???

MSISDN Format

An MSISDN is limited to 15 digits, prefixes not included (e.g., 00 prefixes an international MSISDN when dialing from Sweden).

In GSM and its variant DCS 1800, MSISDN is built up as

MSISDN = CC + NDC + SN
CC = Country Code
NDC = National Destination Code, identifies one or part of a PLMN
SN = Subscriber Number

Example

MSISDN: 380561234567

CCNDCSN

380Ukraine
56Dnipropetrovsk
1234567Subscriber's number
Please use plain text.
O2_Lisa
Topics: 83
Kudos: 10,884
Solutions: 1,160

Re: MSISDN format

I will have to check this out for you and as soon as I have an update I will post back.
Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
jasonh

Lisa, I was wondering if there was any update on this?

Please use plain text.
O2_Fiona
Topics: 8
Kudos: 4,456
Solutions: 467

Hi Jasonh, I can advise that Lisa was following up on this for you with our tech team but there is no update yet. I'm not familair with the issue above I'm afraid and know that from the customer care end we don't have a 'send msisdn tool'. I imagine however from the details you have provided above and the common error reported on the FAQ's that we should be able to correct for you. We will contact you as soon as we have more details.

Please use plain text.
O2_Lisa

Hi

Can you confirm first what software you are using and the app.

I have checked this out for you and we have checked on the current software 1.73.206.3 (About Phone>Software Information>Software Number), the MSISDN is populating correctly in the format of +35386xxxxxxx.

I also would like to share that we currently do not have MSISDN hardcoded on the sims, it actually is provisioned from the network when the sim made live.

Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
jasonh

[ Edited ]

Lisa,

The software version I'm using is 1.45.707.2

The app in question is called Tikl

Their FAQs page is at http://info.tikl.mobi/tikl-frequently-asked-questions

This SIM was from a HTC Hero I got over 3 years ago, so it would have gone live then.  

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
O2_Lisa

Thanks for the update.

Did you buy this handset on the O2 network?

In this case a sim replacement might resolve this issue, I will post you out a sim replacement once you get this contact us and we will activate it for you.

Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
jasonh

No, my last 2 handsets were imports.  You might remember the furore last summer about o2 not carrying the Sensation.....  So I went off and got my own.

Anyway, I'll PM you with contact details.

Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
jasonh

Lisa, thanks for sending out the SIM and for activating it for me.  Unfortunately the MSISDN field on the SIM card was blank, so when you go to Settings > About Phone > Phone Identity > Phone number this space reads "unknown".

This has the same effect in the Tikl app as having an incorrect MSISDN number stored.

http://info.tikl.mobi/tikl-frequently-asked-questions , reference FAQ #1.  So I'm still back where we started.

Please use plain text.
O2_MichelleMc
Topics: 19
Kudos: 4,566
Solutions: 438

I have called the technical team for you now to check it, we don't have a send MSISDN to sim tool I'm afraid, he said to try 0035386 or 086 or 35386 or +35386

I wen through your post with them but unfortubately it is not something they are aware of that we can change here. The app may not be compatible with our network. 

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
jasonh

Ehm, what's this about a SIM replacement charge on this month's bill?  I wasn't notified of this charge and getting a new SIM didn't fix the problem that I had.

Please use plain text.
O2_Sheena
Topics: 131
Kudos: 7,313
Solutions: 1,331

Sorry, I've removed that charge now.

Did you ever have any joy with this issue? I've checked out the Tikl app on my Galaxy S2, seems to be similar to Skype or Viber so I'm not sure why this one is set up differently to those.
Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
jasonh

Thank's Sheena,

Nope, didn't get any further with the app.  For whatever reason, they use the MSISDN number stored on the SIM as the identifier on their server.  My OH recently ported to Meteor recently and the MSISDN on her SIM is the original 085 number of the SIM and not the number she ported to them.  I saw somewhere that Blackberry phones can edit the MSISDN of SIM cards that are inserted into them.  I haven't had a chance to confirm it.

A work-around would be to link my Facebook account to Tikl and use that to identify my handset.  That's the recommended solution on their FAQ page.  The reason that I liked the idea of Tikl was that it was designed like a walkie-talkie.  It'd be handy if you were doing a job with a group of people.

Please use plain text.
O2_Sheena
Topics: 131
Kudos: 7,313
Solutions: 1,331

Just had a google and apparently you can also do this using the SIM Manager application in Windows Mobile. One or two people posted saying that putting their sim cards in other phones updated the MSISDN too.

Also found this post which might help : http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/How-to-add-your-mobile-number-to-you-phone/...
Please use plain text.