Bronze Advisor
OrionO

Unlimited Free calls to any network - genuine?

[ Edited ]

I got this sms meant to be from O2, I'm wondering is a scam of some sort?

Upgrade your O2 to make unlimited free calls to any network, please click on this link x or copy and past on your browser. 

O2_Daryll
Topics: 584
Kudos: 8,781
Solutions: 1,032

Re: Unlimited Free calls to any network - genuine?

This is a fake message please ignore it.
New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Gold Expert
cookie2point0

For security purposes can we have the link in the first post removed please. I can't do it here as I'm mobile. TIA
Posted from RIM BlackBerry 9300
O2_Laura
Topics: 1
Kudos: 1,294
Solutions: 130

Thanks Cookie, I've removed it now.
New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Gold Expert
cookie2point0

appreciate it Laura :smileywink:
Bronze Advisor
OrionO

Considering as many of the people I know with O2 phones got the same message, and due to the O2 offers they usually get on their phone, clicked on it thinking it was the same thing. What does clicking on this do?

Gold Expert
cookie2point0

Clicking it does nothing but filling it in gives them your number and password so they can access your account to send lots of webtexts. If they go over your webtext allowance then you'll loose credit. They may also have access to other personal details
Bronze Advisor
OrionO

How can yoy go over your web text allowance? That shouldn't be possible. 

Personally I've not got phishing sms before. I guess its time to turn off all sms offers so as not to be caught out. 

psychosax
Topics: 283
Kudos: 5,917
Solutions: 113

OrionO wrote:

How can yoy go over your web text allowance? That shouldn't be possible. 

Personally I've not got phishing sms before. I guess its time to turn off all sms offers so as not to be caught out. 

http://help.o2online.ie/kb/article?ArticleId=3909&source=Article&c=12&cid=22&articlesource=o2

You can send up to 250 free texts every month to any National or International number. If you use your 250 free texts any extra messages will cost 10c per message.
If you send a group Webtext one text from your allowance will be deducted for each person in the group. If you send a text to a group which has 10 people in it 10 Webtexts will be used.

One Webtext contains 160 characters and you can send a Webtext containing a maximum of 1000 characters. A Webtext with 1000 characters will count as 7 individual messages.

Number of Characters Number of Texts deducted or charged Number of Characters Number of Texts deducted or charged
1 - 160 1 Text 1 - 70 1 Text
161 - 306 2 Texts 71 - 134 2 Text
307 - 459 3 Texts 135 - 201 3 Text

Notes: Maximum Characters per Webtext: 1000 or 7  Texts
For details on the basic GSM character set see this website.

Notes: Maximum Characters per Webtext: 1000 or 15 Texts
If you use any character outside the GSM character set in your Webtext then the entire Webtext will get encoded as Unicode.

There is a subtle principle that resides within all of us, which is unborn and undying. It is bliss infinite and the giver of supreme happiness.It is our inner Guru.

O2_Fiona
Topics: 8
Kudos: 4,680
Solutions: 496

Hi OrionO, we offer customers 250 free webtext online. It is also possible to continue using this outside the allowance but a charge of 10c would then apply to your prepay or billpay account.

Silver Newbie
styley

[ Edited ]

As a rule when you recive a legitimate text from O2, the name O2 will appear in the same way as a text from your friend would appear as their name. If the text is from a number such as +35386xxxxxxxx, which you don't have in your phone then it is not from O2 and you should not act on it.

O2_Lisa
Topics: 84
Kudos: 11,294
Solutions: 1,204

Thanks, keep an eye on thread Hoax sms
Bronze Newbie
RoRoC

Like a fool I clicked on this link and it brought me to what looked like an O2 log in page, I proceeded to put in my log in details.  Once I had them in I realised what I was doing was stupid and changed my password.  Is there still a chance they could have access my account details in this time?  I pay by direct debit and I'm worred they may access bank account details?

O2_Lisa
Topics: 84
Kudos: 11,294
Solutions: 1,204

No if you changed your password you are ok. I will send on your number to our security team.
Bronze Newbie
RoRoC

Thanks very much.
Silver Contributor
jean11

Recieving a message from 02 does not always appear as 02 on the phone.... as in if you have text bundles credit top up or anything like that it comes from a mobile no and not 02....  so when you see a no and then a message from who you think is 02 you dont really question it. This may be something ye could look in to