Bronze Contributor
walus

mms not working on Nokia lumia 520

Can someone please look into this problem for me? I've Lumia 520 and can not send or receive MMS. I tried checking the MMS setup but can not access these settings under settings/access point. I read previous posts where it was suggested using a Nokia app to fix this, but no relevant app is available in store. Thanks.
Tomasz
Posted from Google Nexus 4
O2_Lisa
Topics: 84
Kudos: 11,270
Solutions: 1,202

Re: mms not working on Nokia lumia 520

Hi Tomasz,

First of all are you able to use the internet on the phone?
Bronze Contributor
walus

Do you mean over the mobile network? If that is the case I can, but switched off the data connection as it is just eating up too much credit. Only use internet over WiFi now.
O2_Lisa

Ok thanks,

You have to have data turned on to send and receive picture messages. Can you turn on data then ensure all settings are correct.

MMS on Windows Mobile are provisioned from the sim.
You'll need to download the Connection App from the marketplace to setup MMS.

Under 'Internet AP'

Access point name......... internet
Proxy address............ left blank
Proxy port......... left blank
Username............ left blank
Password............. left blank

Under 'MMS APN'

MMS access point name......... left blank.
Proxy address......... left blank
Proxy port......... 8080
Username............ left blank
Password............ left blank
MMSC address.......... ......... http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
Bronze Contributor
walus

I can not look into these setting as in the Access Point the phone will not allow it. If I turn on the data connection how do I make sure the phone does not go online on its own as that was the case when it came out if the box?
Bronze Contributor
walus

Also there is no Connection App. I looked for it already.
O2_Lisa

You can't prevent the phone from going online, it will do this as it is a Smartphone. You can get a data bundle it is €4.99 per month for 200 to get this dial 5NET to 50231.
Bronze Contributor
walus

Thanks Lisa, but this is not a solution I was looking for. I'm not going to pay any extra just to have the ability to send and receive MMS. This was something that worked perfect on my previous mobiles. My wife's Samsung send and receives MMS with data connection in OFF and it is so called smartphone too.
Bronze Contributor
walus

Is there any other solution to this? I remember sending MMS from my older phones and be charged only for MMS not MMS and internet connection. I would imagine that a smartphone could be setup to do the exact same thing. Thanks.
O2_Fiona
Topics: 8
Kudos: 4,655
Solutions: 495

Hiya. when you send an mms you will only be charged only for an mms. The data connection on your phone must be enabled in order to use the mms service. Unfortunately it is not possible to use mms when data is disabled. Any time you wish to send an mms you will need to temporarily enable mobile data.

Bronze Contributor
walus

Click Here For More

Hi, But that means to be paying 1 euro for data connectivity per day on top of the usual mms charge. If I go abroad, which is when the mms really comes in handy, this would mean even more cost. When I was upgrading to Nokia Lumia 520 the information I was given was that terms of O2 serivce would not change. This however, from what ye saying, is not the case., which to me invalidates the contract agreement. Before I realized the phone goes online on its own without me even using it in any way I lost a lot of credit that went in vain. The way O2 have set it up means that even when the user does not touch a phone and use any of its functions it will connect and exchange the data automatically. This is not right. I can not believe it can't be setup the way my previous phones where. I was never paying and data connectivity charge, only the mms cost, thats it. I'm not buying into this thinking that with a smartphone I need to be online all the time. If you can not set it up differently you should not charge me and other people the connectivity charge for just having an option to use MMS service which is charged at its own cost anyway.

O2_Fiona

Hi, when you send an mms you are only charged to send an mms. You are not charged for a data connection and an mms. When you enable mobile data on your phone it is likely that you have apps or emails updating automatically. If you can disable these you will certainly be able to leave the moble data enabled so that you can send mms. The terms of service have not changed. If a customers phone connects to the internet then a charge of €1 per day for 50MB will apply. This is the same on all devices. You can certainly take your phone to an O2 store and have a staff member check your settings. They will be able to disable any apps etc that are connecting.

Bronze Contributor
walus

Yes, I understand what you are saying. However there are some phone functions such as Microsoft Email that does not allow to be manually synchronized, the least frequent is daily. There is also very poor visibility into which applications use internet connections in the background. My experience from talking to the shop staff is they are not very helpful when the problem is with the phone purchased online. They always used to refer me to the O2 web/online chat and the likes.
O2_Fiona

Hi, does the Microsoft email option allow you to disable syncing at all. In this case you could just turn it off when you wish to use mms and then turn it back on again?

Bronze Contributor
walus

That is the thing you see, it simply doesn't. You can only have it done automatically or not have the Microsoft email account at all, which then in turn strips the phone from its functionality and support. Any other account added on top of that however can by manually synced. A total none sens situation in my opinion. I'm happy with the mobile as such, but the way it operates with the network is shambolic in my opinion. I get charged from things I do not need right from the box and things I need do not work the way they normally should and have been in phones of a few generations back.
O2_Fiona

There is something on the phone that is connecting such as email and apps and this is why you are being charged for internet. You will only be charged for internet if your phone connects to the internet and this relates to the handset features or how the phone has been personalized.

You can either pop into an O2 store and have the staff member go through your phone to disable any automatic updates or you can check this on the user manual or through Nokia support.

Alternatively, you can keep mobile data disabled on the phone but if you do this you will not be able to use mms.

It is not possible to use mms without a mobile data connection. If the phone is connecting to the internet when you are not doing this your then this relates to your phone settings and you will need to check this accordingly.

Bronze Contributor
walus

Thanks. I do understand what you are saying. The phone is basically configured as it comes out of the box. I only switched off the Data Connection that I only now realized is on fault for not allowing me to use MMS service. However, the phone itself does not offer any way to monitor the incoming/outgoing traffic and switch off those apps that cause it to connect to internet unnecessarily. In my previous phones I had apps as well as email configured but they would never connect unless instructed. Here the phone is configured in such a way that it does connect to internet a couple of times a day. What is worse is that the user neither gets to know what causes this nor he can do anything about this. For instance the Microsoft Email account (something that apparently needs to be setup at first phone startup for phone to have its full capability) does not allow for manual syncing nor it allows for this account to be deleted from the phone altogether. This is by default setup to update email on a daily basis. On top of that there is no visibility as to what other apps are doing in terms of internet access. I'm having no joy here as the phone/network setup does not allow for not paying the internet connection fees when it is not required.
O2_Fiona

Can you delete the apps or email option if you do not use it? Have you confirmed with Nokia that this is the case as from my experience with all other smartphones, users can control the connectivity of apps and emails themselves.

Bronze Contributor
walus

I can delete what I installed but not what is inherent to Windows such as email account etc. I can not access the O2 access point settings at all as well. The only way to delete Windows account would be to reset the phone, which means wiping everything out. Not a great solution.
Bronze Contributor
walus

Is there a data monitor app that I could use to pin point the application that triggers the internet connection? Thanks
O2_Daryll
Topics: 584
Kudos: 8,781
Solutions: 1,032

There isn't one that I have heard of yet.
New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Bronze Contributor
walus

I'm still convinced that MMS application does not require Data Connectivity. The other mobile in the house, android based, runs with that option in OFF and has no trouble with MMS.
O2_Linda
Topics: 7
Kudos: 813
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 94

For your number to be able to send a picture message it has to have internet enabled for it to work.

Bronze Contributor
walus

Linda, could you give more information on that? Saying that it has to have the internet enabled for MMS just does not fit well in how I see this problem. All my previous phones (both nokias) had this option off and work for MMS just fine. My wife's Samsung galaxy has this disabled and MMS still work perfect. Why my phone can not do the same? I believe that if other phones can be setup to do just that mine should be too. Simple as.
O2_Linda
Topics: 7
Kudos: 813
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 94

The internet service and picture message service are linked together. If the internet service does not work on your number or has been disabled then you would not be able to send a picture message.