Silver Newbie
Mike8358
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 Wont send or receive Picture Messages?

Hi,

As the heading says and also I can't connect my to my PC using the USB Cable that came with it. My computer sees it and looks for a driver for it but no drivers came with the phone. Any help to sort this would be appreciated please :smileyhappy:

Mike

Please use plain text.
Arm
Topics: 175
Kudos: 5,457
Solutions: 275

Re: Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 Wont send or receive Picture Messages?

Hey for the MMS messages you can go to o2.ie/settings and follow the instructions from there.

When you connect the phone to the computer do you get a message pop up on the phone asking what you want to do? It usually has the Android picture with a usb connection and the message that the phone is connected via usb. Under that there is usually an option to mount the phone.

Please use plain text.
Silver Newbie
Mike8358

Hi armstri2,

Yes I seen that in another post and I tried it before I made my post and it says it is sending the settings to my phone but nothing happens. I downloaded Samsung PC Studio and it installed drivers for my phone and now I can access it as a mass storage device but LOL Samsung PC studio can not detect my phone at all. Tried your suggestion again today and still no change.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Arm

Hey Mike

One of the Mods will need to have a look at your account to sort out the messaging so. With regard to connecting it to the computer have you tried disabling the anti virus software when you're trying to connect? Can you also go to the settings> applications> Development and make sure USB debugging it ticked.

Please use plain text.
O2_Sheena
Topics: 131
Kudos: 7,313
Solutions: 1,331

I've reset the provisioning on your account Mike just to be safe, can you restart your phone in about 20 minutes and test the MMS then?
Please use plain text.
Silver Newbie
Mike8358

Hi Sheena, armstrj2.

Sorry Sheena I turned off and on my phone but it is still just stuck on Downloading when trying to receive a picture and Sending when trying to send a picture. No armstrj2 the USB debugging was not ticked so I ticked it and now I can not access my mass memory on the phone like I could earlier LOL :smileyhappy: My Virus software was disabled also. 

Mike

Please use plain text.
O2_Lisa
Topics: 84
Kudos: 11,207
Solutions: 1,192

Hi Mike, have you tried your sim in another handset, to test if you can send then?
Please use plain text.
Arm

Hey Mike, it's never easy! The usb debugging is needed by most pc software for reading error reports off the phone when it's connected so if it's not ticked it usually fails. Not in your case though! Have you got the Samsung "Kies" software running on your PC? You can download it from here

It may be worth uninstalling the PC Studio software first, then installing the Kies software if you haven't already. A lot of people seem to have difficulty with Samsung sync software but hopefully you'll get it up and running

Please use plain text.
Silver Newbie
Mike8358

Hi Lisa,

It used to work in my old phone no problem it was a Nokia N97 I think? But I never had a problem sending Pic Messages with the Nokia.

Mike 

Please use plain text.
Silver Newbie
Mike8358

Hi armstrj2,

First off can I thank everyone for being so helpful thanks a mill. When I get home from work tomorrow morning I will un-install PC Studio and try installing Kies, I do not have Kies on my computer but I seen it come up on my phone when it was working with the USB it would ask what I wanted it to connect to. Again many thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it :smileyhappy:

Mike

Please use plain text.
Arm

No Probs Mike. Any issues post back.

Please use plain text.
Silver Newbie
Mike8358

Hi armstrj2, Sheena,

I installed Kies on my PC and then connected my phone and Kies did a Firmware update and everything works great on my PC now :smileyhappy: thank you so much. In regards to sending/receiving pictures it still would not send or receive. But I kept messing about with the settings and then discovered that if I went to Settings, Wireless Network, Mobile Networks and then Ticked "Use Packet Data" it actually then allowed me to send a picture message. But I went back and un-ticked it as I am not sure if I should leave it ticked or not it said something about additional charges if I leave it on? If it is just charges for sending the Picture message then that is fine.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Arm

Hey Mike glad you got it working. With regard to the "Use Packet Data" this is for all data not just pic messages so if you leave it ticked some Apps etc will be able to use the Mobile network to update so you may incur charges. It really depends on what price plan you are on and if there is a data allowance  included. If you are on Pre pay and have no data included I would suggest you leave it off as plenty of people do be on this forum complaining that their credit is being consumed due to data use. The down side to this is that you can only receive messages when it's turned on but to send them you could just turn it on briefly

Please use plain text.
O2_Sheena
Topics: 131
Kudos: 7,313
Solutions: 1,331

When the 'packet data' option is ticked it means you can access the internet on your phone so it might be an idea to leave it unticked if you don't want data charges, and then just tick it when you need to send an MMS.
Please use plain text.
Silver Newbie
Mike8358

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

Yep I have just been reading loads of posts from people that have the same problem as me. On my old phone, the Nokia it was always on and no matter what I tried to view on my phone when connected to my Wi-Fi it would auto switch to connect with 02 and that was one of the reasons I got rid of it. Anyway it is nice to know that I can send Pic's now if I turn it on.

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated :smileyhappy:

Mike

Please use plain text.
Arm

No Probs Mike:smileywink:

Please use plain text.