What do I need to know before I travel abroad?

O2 Roaming rates are available with 400 networks in 200 destinations. 

It is important that when you are roaming you can keep yourself informed of the services available and the charges that apply. 

What roaming rates are available?

There are regulated roaming rates available when using voice, text and data services in the EU. 

The regulated rates will apply automatically unless you choose another roaming tariff option.

You can opt in and out of these rates as required and without restriction.

You can avail of the default roaming rates or you can opt to take a different roaming plan for voice or data that suits your needs. 

For example if you are travelling in the UK, or using your phone in border areas you may choose O2 Travel which has no charge for calls received while roaming or if you are planning to use a lot of data while travelling you can take one of the data add ons available.

How do I know what roaming charges apply?

Click here to check the rates that will apply when you are roaming.

Will I get messages when roaming?

When you are roaming we will keep you informed of charges that apply when using our services. 

When travelling inside and outside the EU we will send you details by SMS of the charges for calls made in country and back to Ireland, calls received, SMS and data charges. 

Using data services when roaming

When you use data services inside and outside the EU a spend cap is provided. 

We will keep a count of your data usage and will notify you in advance of reaching €61.50 (inc. VAT) that your data usage will be capped. 

When we notify you that you are capped you can decide if you want to leave the service capped or if you want to continue beyond the spend cap.

How do I manually select a network?

Android iPhone
  • Tap Menu.
  • Tap Settings.
  • Tap Wireless & Networks.
  • Tap Mobile Networks.
  • Tap Network Operators.

The phone will search for available networks.

Select the network you want to connect to.

• Tap Settings.
  • Tap Carrier.
  • Slide Automatic to Off.

A list of available networks will appear.

Tap the network you want to connect to.

BlackBerry® Windows
  • Click Options.
  • Click Mobile Network.
  • Set the Network Selection Mode field to Manual.
  • Click Scan for Available Networks.

• Tap Settings
  • Select mobile network
  • Select the text box under Network selection
  • Select tap to select

How much data will I use?

When you are using data services the following an approximate guide for the average amount of data you will use for different services. 

Sending email 50KB per email
Sending email with photo attached 600KB per email
Browsing rich web pages (PC) 500KB per page
Using Mobile Applications 80KB per page

It is important to note these figures are an indicative guide to the level of data usage.  The actual amount consumed is dependent on the content accessed and the device used.

Control your roaming spend

If you are using your phone in border areas and want to avoid inadvertent roaming you can configure your handset to manual network selection which will ensure you decide when you connect to a different network.

There may also be a tariff options to help you control your costs. 

For example O2 Travel has no charge for receiving voice calls in the UK.

If you are using data services you can use the controls in your handset to decide when you use data services.

You can also refer to your handset manual which will include appropriate instructions on how to turn off data roaming and if you search on data roaming in our help and support section there are details on how to turn off data roaming on particular handsets. 

You can look at your recent usage details by logging on to O2.ie and accessing My Account. 

Navigation
  • Knowledge Base Help & Support