Bronze Newbie
Dave_in_Cork

sim for holiday in Italy to text/call Italian contacts while I'm there

Hi, I'm a pay-as-you-go customer. I'm going to Italy for a couple of weeks. As I have a lot of friends in the place I'm going I will want to call and text them.

So I'll need an Italian pay as you go sim and I'll need to have my Italian friends' numbers on the phone memory (and then text them my Italian number) -- I guess... is that what people normally do?

- is o2 in Italy (I tried looking online but couldn't find it)?

- does o2 have a commercial partnership with an Italian company?

- is there a particular Italian network that anyone can recommend - at some point I'll be living there for long periods and I'll want mobile-internet for ipad as well (probably a bill plan) as well as Italian mobile phone... so, I'd like to start off with a company that I'll then stick with (and keep with my new Italian number)

Any tips and advice appreciated, I've not done this before.

Dave (in Cork)

O2_Sheena
Topics: 131
Kudos: 7,313
Solutions: 1,331

Re: sim for holiday in Italy to text/call Italian contacts while I'm there

Our partner network in Italy is TIM but I haven't used them myself so I can't vouch for them I'm afraid. I suggest when you arrive to get a Prepaid sim for them and try it out before agreeing to any contracts or getting broadband from them.
Bronze Newbie
Dave_in_Cork

Thanks Sheena,
so will I go into a TIM shop like you'd go into an O2 shop here and just ask for a payg sim and then buy some credit?

My query is now looking like "how do you boil an egg?"! I was thinking maybe there would be some complications I'd need to know about.
Thanks again
O2_Sheena

I believe that it is that easy, I'm sure that they would have a similar set up to ourselves, but I can't 100% promise it I'm afraid!

I had a look at their website, and with the help of Google Translate I can see that they do have prepay offers which are the same as ours. You can get free texts to all Italian networks or free calls to other TIM customers and 60 minutes to other networks there. It seems pretty cheap as well.

http://www.tim.it/consumer/c102944/i102946/livello2standard.do
Bronze Newbie
Dave_in_Cork

Thanks again,
I was just looking there too (using my very own "Dave translate ;-)
They do the micro-sim for the iPad too (for future use).

Irish mobile have always been among the most expensive until they were reined in by EU anti-profiteering laws (O2 included I guess...). Several years ago my Italian friends were paying half ... half ...what I was paying here for payg calls/texts/roaming! Anyway...

I just wanted to start off with a company I'd then stick with for future uses, I like to keep things "in house" for simplicity. I'll do a comparison with Vodafone too as I see they offer an iPad micro-sim too

Cheers, I think I have a clue now! It's terrible being an oldie ;-)
O2_Sheena

No bother Dave! If there's anything else we can help with you know where to find us!