Bronze Advisor
robbie.gleseon
Accepted Solution

O2 Customer Care

I recently posted a thread outlining my problems setting up y Xbox 360 with a GlobeSurfer III rouer. After my first phone call with data suport I was advised to contct Xbox support about opening ports. I did this and Xbox said thy didn't have any documentation on the router in question but they did give me 6 ports that needed to be opened and advised that my IP should assist me with this. After I called data support again and they told me they were unable to open ports for me as it would leave my interet connection exposed. I can't actually believe that O2 cust care just left the matter at that. I mean I'm a paying customer, surley they would offer to find some soloution  for me about this. The cust care rep actually told me to "GOOGLE IT"! I mean i'm paying for a product that should come wih support!

All Things Tech

Robbie
Please use plain text.
O2_Sheena
Topics: 131
Kudos: 7,308
Solutions: 1,331

Re: O2 Customer Care

Hi Robbie, port opening is dangerous as it can leave your computer open to attacks, as a result it is not something that our data team can advise on.

To use any of our supported products (phones, routers, modems etc) you would never need to open a port so they don't have training in this practise either.

The xBox site has some great advice on it though, have a look at the below link:
http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?category=xboxlive&ID=908874&lcid=1033
Please use plain text.
Bronze Advisor
robbie.gleseon

Hi Shenna

while I understand that O2 would be uncomfertable with opening ports I still feel that It is my choice to make, not O2. The following is taken directly off the link you provided me with; "If your router is not listed on the Port Forward website, contact your Internet service provider or router manufacturer for help with opening network ports." As I am obviously still withing my 7 days, I will be returning my router ad heading to Imagine WiMax.

All Things Tech

Robbie
Please use plain text.
O2_Sheena

It is absolutely your choice, but that doesn't mean that our data support team have to be able to advise you on it. We are not stopping it in any way at all but it's just not something we offer support for.

What you are looking for in the router settings would be the NAT and virtual server settings. I can't advise further than that I'm afraid as I don't have the router myself and I don't have training in opening ports on it.
Please use plain text.
Bronze Advisor
robbie.gleseon

That's grand Shenna, I'm not having a go at you personally I'm just very frustrated that I can't set it up! I'll keep playingaround with it and see what happens.

All Things Tech

Robbie
Please use plain text.
O2_Sheena

I understand Robbie, I go mad when I can't get something working! Trust me, we'd help if we could but our hands are tied when it is outside the threshold of our training.

Good luck though, and if you do figure it all out if you come back and post the solution it means that future customers won't have to go through the same hardship as yourself :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Gold Advisor
trev02

its easy first of all ya have to make sure ya give the xbox a static ip, with it connected look for it under connected devices or similar on the router, if the ip ends with 2 or 3 change it to 10 or 20 and reserve that ip for the xbox, some routers require the mac address to reserve an ip but ya can get that on the xbox

next go to the xbox and set up a new connection, enter the ip of the router as the gateway or router(cant remember which it asks) for the ip address of the xbox enter it the same as the one ya reserved, with 10 or 20 at the end

restart the lot and go back to the router, look for nat or custom servives and clicl on add or define new service etc, name them anything, say xbox 1 through to xbox 6, each rule needs a different name, it might ask ya to specify what ur forwarding it to during the setup so select the xbox ip, make sure ya have the udp or tcp settting right if it asks for it

ya will have to enable all the rules if it didnt ask to do it during setup, so restart the lot again and ur good to go

sorry i cant be exact with the phrases or settings, i dont have a globesurfer
Please use plain text.