Bronze Contributor
hugnelia

Make webtext internationally compatible

Just an idea:
At the moment webtext is not internationally compatible.

eg: A receiptient of a webtext in Australia cannot reply to it, as the international prefix there is not 00.

Dozens of other countries also have different international prefix.

I suggest changing the prefix on webtexts from 00 to +, allowing all international users to be able to respond to them.

Cheers,

Sean

O2_Sheena
Topics: 131
Kudos: 7,313
Solutions: 1,331

Re: Make webtext internationally compatible

Thanks Sean, we appriciate the feedback. I think there are technical reasons as to why we can't do this but I'll look into it for you :smileyhappy:
Bronze Contributor
aztrix

This is a major irritant and should be resolved regardless of technical difficulties. If it's possible from a mobile phone then it should be a piece of cake to do it in software. Come on folks let's see this implemented. Cheers Bruce
O2_Daryll
Topics: 584
Kudos: 8,781
Solutions: 1,032

It has more to do with the foreign networks then it does with our own. Saying that the standard for this service is evolving behind the scenes for all networks and the service should be back to normal soon when all company's are working off the same standard..
New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Bronze Contributor
hugnelia

AFAIK most civilised countries support the + syntax.
Some countries don't, but I expect it's considerably less number than those that don't support 00 prefix

Example of some of the coutries that don't support 00:
Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Russia, Finland, Korea, Thailand

I think + is a much better situation.
With the tons of Irish that head to Oz every year, this alone should justify it..

O2 Team
O2_Kevin

There's more technical challenges than the number format. Webtexts are delivered with "type of number" flag set to free, and many foreign networks reject that flag. The US networks being a prime example
Platinum Expert
cookie

Thanks iBore for that.
"My mother is a fish."
Got a BlackBerry? Join the O2 forum BlackBerry group run by customers. PM me @ BBM PIN: 21cc0a28 and I'll send you a link.
Bronze Contributor
aztrix

and what does "type of number" flag have to do with the sent from number being +xxx rather than 00xxx?
O2 Team
O2_Kevin

Sorry, just meant that "sent from" number can be worked around by the end user. Type of number or TON just gets rejected by the receiving network. I'll stop now, didn't get this user name by being interesting, smiley wink blah blah.
Bronze Contributor
aztrix

how can the "sent from" number can be worked around by the end user using webtext?
O2 Team
O2_Kevin

eg: A receipient of a webtext in Australia cannot reply to it, as the international prefix there is not 00.

I think the end user in Australia at least receives the text, and can compose a reply by manipulating the number,where as your recipient in the US gets nada
O2 Team
O2_Kevin

Just spotted all my crappy English, should have said recipient instead of end user
Bronze Contributor
aztrix

iBore wrote:
eg: A receipient of a webtext in Australia cannot reply to it, as the international prefix there is not 00.

I think the end user in Australia at least receives the text, and can compose a reply by manipulating the number,where as your recipient in the US gets nada

what do YOU think most of this thread is about??? do us all a favour and read the whole thread before subtracting your 2c worth.

O2 Team
O2_Kevin

Ouch?
RainbowRuth
Topics: 170
Kudos: 4,199
Solutions: 180

aztrix wrote:

iBore wrote:

what do YOU think most of this thread is about??? do us all a favour and read the whole thread before subtracting your 2c worth.

who got out of bed on the wrong side? :smileywink:

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

Bronze Contributor
aztrix

rotfl :-) ... agh the bed wasn't too bad, sorry for being blunt ibore, i'm sure you do add a lot to the o2 community, i'll temper my responses in future :-D

cheers
aztrix
RainbowRuth

How sad am I I just had to google rotfl!! ;-) :-)

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

Posted from Apple iPhone
Platinum Expert
cookie

Rotflmao :smileytongue:
"My mother is a fish."
Got a BlackBerry? Join the O2 forum BlackBerry group run by customers. PM me @ BBM PIN: 21cc0a28 and I'll send you a link.
RainbowRuth

Surely you mean rotflmbo?! ;-) Delay was me looking up google again!!! :-p

Posted from Apple iPhone
Platinum Expert
cookie

Rotflmfao :smileyvery-happy:
"My mother is a fish."
Posted from Apple iPod Touch
RainbowRuth

Really?!

Posted from Apple iPhone