Mods can we make this a sticky on the Blackberry section

Blackberry Setup Guide
text
NET
to 50231 to get 700mb data add-on for 9.99 renewed monthly
Once that’s confirmed  text
BLACK
to 50231 to get the BIS add-on

Now for each device setting up Blackberry Internet Services (herein referred to as BIS) can be a little different so do post if you've specific device problems.

After you have the data add-on and BIS add-on you can do one of 2 things.
1: got to www.o2mail.ie on a desktop/laptop computer (NOT YOUR DEVICE!!!) and register the device pin and imei by setting up a new account (click create). This is the simplest way for new users. Once it's setup you will receive service books to your device. Make sure your network signal is turned on at this stage. Then you will see the one of the following happen:
gprs will become GPRS
edge will become EDGE
3g will become 3G

(Note the above change from small letters to capitals, this indicates BIS service is now active on your device)
You may also see 4 dots beside the signal in the top right hand corner. This will also indicate BIS is on.

If the after the above nothing happens take the battery out for 30secs and pop it back in then. Check to see if you now have BIS on your device as described above.

2: if the above does not work for you or it says "you cannot register this device on" then do the following. Again this menu system may differ between devices so post if you've a problem.
Go to options, advanced options, host routing table. Press the menu button (7 dot button on device) and click register now. You should receive messages saying "Your handheld has been registered". Then look for a program on the home screen called "mail setup" or "set-up", go to it and click email accounts. Create a new account if you've never done this before and follow the instructions. You should then receive service books to your device. If you don’t do a battery pull for 30 secs and pop it back in again.

If one of the above methods has been successful then you should be able to add email accounts. I'll post how to do that in the post below. Any problems post in this thread or in the Blackberry section. 

EDIT: Just adding to this our Blackberry FAQ article : http://www.o2online.ie/o2/help/article.php?aid=89957

Gold Expert
cookie2point0

Re: How to setup your Blackberry

Gmail on Blackberry

Make sure imap is turned on in gmail before adding the gmail account to the BIS.

If you're still having issues with adding a gmail account and password validation go to the link below and "unlock" per their instructions. Turn off your Blackberry, remove the battery, replace the battery and power up again. Then, try to validate your password again

https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha
O2_Lisa
Topics: 84
Kudos: 11,290
Solutions: 1,204

Thanks very much
Gold Expert
cookie2point0

If the internet on your browser is not working on your Blackberry and you do have BIS active per the above instructions then make sure the APN is set correctly.

Got to options, advanced options, tcp/ip and tick enable APN and set it as:
blackberry.net
press back arrow and save.
leave authentication unticked and leave password and username blank.

The above may not be necessary and is only for if you're having problems.

!!!!!!!If you've any problem do a battery pull first on your device before posting about said problem!!!!!!! This will 90% of the time sort out any problem on a blackberry.
Gold Newbie
miss_honey

Thanks for the reply.. but I have other query.. What if I will not subcribe the internet bundle in my blackberry 8520, Is there any other way or setting for me  to use only wifi in my blackberry?I have a high speed wifi in my home so I rather use my wifi instead subscribing a internet bundle. Please help me about this..

Arm
Topics: 175
Kudos: 5,457
Solutions: 275

From what I have read on other similar threads about this issue you really need to have your phone setup, as posted above, to insure you will be able to use wifi properly

Gold Expert
cookie2point0

You could take the data plan for one month along with the bis services. that'll get you the wifi service books and then you can cancel the data the next month. It should work but a blackberry really needs bis to get the most out of it.
Posted from RIM BlackBerry 9780
Gold Expert
cookie2point0

Remember though to disable data services on your device too after the month or data will be very expensive when paying for it on pre pay without the data bundle.
Posted from RIM BlackBerry 9780
Bronze Contributor
underveyer

I see from the first post that there is a cost quoted for the data addon, but what about the BIS?

Elsewhere on the O2 site it says that the BIS provides "unlimited email, instant messaging and Internet browsing using the O2 WAP browser €12.34 monthly charge, ex VAT".

If that is the case why do I need to get the 700mb data addon?

If I do need it, does that mean the full cost of using data on a blackberry is €22.33 plus VAT in addition to whatever plan I am on?

Regards

Gold Expert
cookie2point0

BIS on PAYG is free except you have to have the 9.99euro 700mb add-on for it to work
Bronze Contributor
underveyer

Grand, but I am billpay

Gold Expert
cookie2point0

Then you can buy the addon for 12.34 excl vat and use unlimited data over the blackberry.net APN only. If you want a more dynamic data experience (tethering, unrestricted use of apps) then you need to get on an advance plan like advance 250 with 250mbs of data. Then you can add bis for free and use any apn you want.
Bronze Contributor
underveyer

Thanks for that.

I am a bit confused, so please be patient.

I am on Advance 250 and I had a data plan for 700. I spoke to a chap on the helpline this morning who removed my data plan and set up BIS at 12.34.

Am I set up correctly or should I simply be as I was before (250 Plan + 700)  just with the addition of a free BIS?

Thanks

Gold Expert
cookie2point0

No this is not correct. If you are on advance 250 you cant add the 700mbs add-on as you have the 250mbs already. You can add 1gb or more but not 700mbs. Even with out any extra data you can have free bis provisioned on your account as you have advance 250. A mod can sort you out.
Bronze Contributor
underveyer

If you are on advance 250 you cant add the 700mbs add-on as you have the 250mbs already.

That's Gas, I've had the 700mb on my plan for months now and I am on Advance 250, or so I was told.

Anyway thanks for the info, I'll follow up with a Mod.

Regards

Gold Expert
cookie2point0

A mod can confirm what you have but previously we've been told that only the 1GB plans and above are compatible with the advance plans.
O2_Daryll
Topics: 584
Kudos: 8,781
Solutions: 1,032

You are not on advance at all, you are on O2 Clear 250, not Advance 250. That is why you had the 700MB add-on. This add-on was no use to you if you had a blackberry as there was no provision for blackberry services with it.
New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Gold Expert
cookie2point0

OP look at the Advance 250 with double mins and sms (500) on sim only with 250mbs data. This is a better option if you're out of contract
O2_Daryll

I agree
Bronze Contributor
underveyer

O2_Daryll wrote:
You are not on advance at all, you are on O2 Clear 250, not Advance 250. That is why you had the 700MB add-on. This add-on was no use to you if you had a blackberry as there was no provision for blackberry services with it.

Just back online and saw this.

I am really annoyed and find this unacceptable. I was in contact with a girl on the helpline earlier this year and she told me she was putting me on the 250 advance, now I find that never happened. I was wonder why my bills seems strange and why another person from o2 contacted me about the 700 addon some weeks later. I thought I was reading things wrong.

This crack just pisses me off and I'm not easily annoyed.

I sent a PM to the Mods this morning about my account and I am still waiting on a reply.

Regards from a not so happy camper...

O2_Daryll

With your permission I will change you to the correct plan now. You can forget about this blackberry add-on you were given. I will also have a look at the most recent bills for you too.
Bronze Contributor
underveyer

Thanks Daryll.

I would be great if you could sort out it for me.

Regards

O2_Daryll

All done.

Can you do a battery pull so that the changes are reflected on the handset.
Bronze Contributor
underveyer

Will do, & thanks once again
Silver Newbie
NataliaBudnicka

This all seems so complicated, I start regreting the bb idea! I'm on a bill pay for smartphone but I can't get my phone working what go I do?