Platinum Expert
cookie
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry Bold 9700 OS 6.0.0.461 Found Online

BlackBerry Bold 9700 OS 6.0.0.461 Found Online

Will test it out and post back my thoughts later. In the mean time it's being discussed in depth here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=586613

"My mother is a fish."
Got a BlackBerry? Join the O2 forum BlackBerry group run by customers. PM me @ BBM PIN: 21cc0a28 and I'll send you a link.
Gold Advisor
CivilEx

Re: BlackBerry Bold 9700 OS 6.0.0.461 Found Online

I've been trying this out for the last day or so and I can that it's pretty good. The only slight worry I have relates to memory leaks in that that it's a big improvement on earlier builds, but still not as stable as OS5.

I'm seeing around 20MB memory loss througout the day, starting at 50MB down to 30 or so.

Platinum Expert
cookie

I strip out alot from the OS (Fonts, silly help videos ringtones etc...) that I dont need/use so after a clean install I have 120mbs free and following installation of a number of apps I'm at about 108mbs and I'm not noticing much of a memory drain (a couple of mbs a daybut certainly not 20mbs). It could be an app civilex?
"My mother is a fish."
Got a BlackBerry? Join the O2 forum BlackBerry group run by customers. PM me @ BBM PIN: 21cc0a28 and I'll send you a link.
Gold Advisor
CivilEx

It must be. I used BB Boss to strip it before install, but it was more like 90MB before the apps. I think I might try a fresh install over the weekend with core apps only to see if I can isolate it

Is there anything out there for monitoring memory loss?
Platinum Expert
cookie

Not that I know of. I use BB Boss too. Then I use BBSAK to strip out individual files. My normal routine (although not everyone agrees) is to wipe the blackberry via the security option on the device (I dont wipe the memory card). This takes about 10mins. Then I wipe via BBSAK or BB Boss. See the pic to see what I remove via BB Boss. I then remove the video start up files and silly pics (Media OTA or something, it's over 4mbs in size) using BBSAK. After that I user maxmem from berrycoder.com to remove stuff and finally reboot about 3 times with 1 minute breaks before putting batter back in. And finally start installing my apps:

google maps

dropbox

sugarsync

facebook

blackberry app world

im+

docs to go premium

Quicklaunch

Tune in

Minute saver

dictionary.com

Repligo pdf reader

Leaving me with about 109mbs free 

"My mother is a fish."
1.jpg
Gold Advisor
CivilEx

Cheers, I'll try that method
Gold Advisor
CivilEx

Well, I'm all updated after following the instructions above. I have a few more apps than Cookie, but still have 95MB left after everything was reinstalled. Very happy indeed :smileyhappy:
Bronze Contributor
MoeJay

Hi folks,

I took the plunge and upgrade to OS6 on my 9700....very straightforward.

Definitely OS6 would benefit from more RAM (a la 9780) but it runs perfectly well and I've had no issues at all. Yes there is a small, very small memory leak but I've found that just by closing all apps that I don't need running in the background when I'm done with them effectively stops any sizeable leak.

OS6 is very slick indeed, navigation is easy and the upgraded browser is very impressive. The ability to get at settings like wifi, bluetooth, alarm etc right from the homescreen is really really useful.

Now if o2 would just start reducing their handset prices I might consider upgrading...but I can only imagine that 9780 vs 9700 with OS6 is not a huge difference...

Platinum Expert
cookie

Woo hoo. Well done and welcome. Yes it's a lovely OS. What's your free memory now (alt EACE)?
"My mother is a fish."
Bronze Advisor
AvrilH

Hi knowledgeable people!

Haven't posted in a while but last night I upgraded my 9700 with the new OS6.

I LOVE it!  However, I have one major problem.  The internet browser.  It's not working properly?

I click on the icon, and it brings up the "Start Page" which lists all the bookmarks and history.

If I click on a bookmark, it starts loading up, does it about 75% of the way, and then it flicks back to the "Start Page" again.  If I type in an address manually, it does the same thing - loads it partially, then flicks back to the "Start Page".

I've just done a battery pull and it's working now - but this happened again last night and I had to do a battery pull then too.  What's going wrong?  I don't particularly wanna do a battery pull every time I want to go on the web browser!

Gold Expert
cookie2point0

Can you tell me what APN you have in
Setup
Device
Advanced System Settings
TCP/IP
Bronze Advisor
AvrilH

It's all blank?

It just says:

APN Settings Enabled:

APN:

APN Authentican Enabled:

User name for APN:

Password for APN:

(nothing is filled in nor are the boxes ticked?)

Gold Expert
cookie2point0

Tick enable apn and put in
blackberry.net
Save it and see if the browser works fine now.
Posted from RIM BlackBerry 9780
Bronze Advisor
AvrilH

Thanks cookie for your help on this - as always, you're very helpful! :smileyhappy:

I have a bit of a prob though - I think this was related to it but the closing unexpectedly isn't happening anymore.  Instead I get "page too big to load so closing browser" messages.  I have to delete browser history etc and then I can open up the page. 

OS6 seems to have taken loads of my memory - I've deleted lots of apps, there's only English installed. I'm wondering do I need to buy a memory card or something? Browsing takes up a load of space, I think I only had 30mb left after the install and when I browse, then it goes way down so I keep getting the error msgs.

Maybe I should go back to OS5, the 9700 just doesn't seem to be able to cope with OS6 :smileysad:

Gold Expert
cookie2point0

Open browser

Go to options

Untick Enable Javascript

Save

and that should work fine then

Gold Expert
cookie2point0

We can go through a custom OS install to remove cr*p that you dont use if you like? It's not the same as a regular install but not too difficult. I can guide you through it if you like.