Bronze Contributor
maximus

iPhone 3Gs freezes/locks up randomly

Hi,

I've had my iPhone 3Gs a month or so now and have noticed an intermittent problem - it will freeze or lock up completely for a few seconds. This happens when, for example, receiving a call. The connection will drop and the phone will freeze for 3-4 seconds. When the screen returns, there is a call failed screen and the connection will have dropped altogether.

The phone will also sometimes freeze when I am trying to unlock the screen. I press the lock button on top and the screen appears but is frozen for 3-4 seconds before I can swipe the screen.

I've tried restoring in iTunes twice but the problems remain. They don't have a pattern, some days will be fine, others they are there.

What can I do about this? If I bring the phone back to the shop, I know the guy is just going to look at me like I have ten heads, because I cannot reproduce the problems at will.
Please use plain text.
O2_Daryll
Topics: 584
Kudos: 8,773
Solutions: 1,032

Re: iPhone 3Gs freezes/locks up randomly

I know the problem you are talking about as I sometimes experience it myself usually when I get an incoming call. The answer swipe will not move and it will look like the phone is frozen. If you are concerned about it I would try giving Apple a call to see if they know if it can be repaired.
New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please use plain text.
Bronze Contributor
maximus

I know the problem you are talking about as I sometimes experience it myself usually when I get an incoming call. The answer swipe will not move and it will look like the phone is frozen. If you are concerned about it I would try giving Apple a call to see if they know if it can be repaired.

Thanks Daryll, but it is the retailer with whom the contract of sale is with, and I'm not at home often enough to have apple collect the phone from me. I'd rather do it through the store. I wouldn't mind if it was only the odd time, but this is happening every week. There must be something wrong.

I just don't know how to explain my case when I can't reproduce the error at will. Will the O2 store take it off me to send to Apple based on my explanation alone?
Please use plain text.
O2_Daryll
Topics: 584
Kudos: 8,773
Solutions: 1,032

They will send it off to apple for you, The only reason I mentioned the other option was because from a speed of turn around point of view dealing directly with Apple will get you your phone back faster.
New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please use plain text.
Bronze Contributor
maximus

They will send it off to apple for you, The only reason I mentioned the other option was because from a speed of turn around point of view dealing directly with Apple will get you your phone back faster.

Cheers, you're right it would be quicker. I might actually leave it until I have some time off in January and let Apple handle it.
Please use plain text.