Silver Newbie
Pice16

Fix error "cannot get mail the user name or password for pop3.live.com is incorrect"

Hi there

Have spent ages trying to fix error when setting up my hotmail account on iphone4 and found a solution which worked and very simple.

If you are getting above error you need to change the country you are registered in within hotmail account. Pop3 is only supported in some countries. UK is one of them but dont think Ireland it was. As soon as I changed my registered country to UK it worked and I have my hotmail account set up on iphone. You may need to wait a few minutes after changing it on hotmail profile before it works on iphone

Please use plain text.
Gold Advisor
trev02

Re: Fix error "cannot get mail the user name or password for pop3.live.com is incorrect"

if ya set it using microsoft exchange ya get push email aswell
Please use plain text.
Silver Newbie
Pice16

Re: Fix error "cannot get mail the user name or password for pop3.live.com is incorrect"

Hi Trev

Ironically I have tried to access my mail again this afternoon and unfortunately the fix I posted seems to have dissapeared and no longer working. You wouldnt have any good ideas of how to fix it!

thanks

Please use plain text.
Platinum Expert
cookie

This was posted a while ago on boards.ie

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67548442

got the following message in my mailbox from the hotmail team

To get Hotmail on-the-go, you recently tried to set up a service called ActiveSync from your mobile device.
We are really glad that you're interested, but we had so many sign-ups that we had to temporarily stop accepting new ones.
We're making constant improvements and we should be accepting new requests fairly soon. Please check the following website in about two weeks to see what's happening: http://www.hotmail.com.
Thanks again for using Hotmail--we're really sorry about this delay.
Sincerely,
The Hotmail Team

bit weird huh?

Would this have anything to do with all the problems? Would you consider going for a pro account or forward mail to a gmail account until it's sorted? I have a pro hotmail account and I've had zero problems with hotmail on my ipod touch

"My mother is a fish."
Got a BlackBerry? Join the O2 forum BlackBerry group run by customers. PM me @ BBM PIN: 21cc0a28 and I'll send you a link.
Please use plain text.
Silver Newbie
Pice16

hi there

Thanks for your reply. I looked into hotmail suppor about activesync after what you said and seem to have solved the problem.

there were some instructions for setting up activesync on iphone. please see the following link for the instructions

http://www.windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=46bd910c-ed99-497d-80d7-ab8b11237ed0

My phone seems to be working now...but will have to see if I have any further issues!!

Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
Platinum Expert
cookie

Hopefully it holds :smileywink:
"My mother is a fish."
Got a BlackBerry? Join the O2 forum BlackBerry group run by customers. PM me @ BBM PIN: 21cc0a28 and I'll send you a link.
Please use plain text.