Bronze Contributor
brendandonloldOLD

E-mail to SMS Gateway for O2 - any suggestions?

One of the iPhone apps that I've become dependent on is Baby Monitor - it sits beside a (hopefully) sleeping child, and calls a number of your choice when it detects motion or noise. It's brilliant whenever or wherever a conventional baby monitor won't work.

However, since the OS upgrade to 3.0, the app no longer works - as Apple have blocked any app from making a call without first getting user approval.

The work-around being offered by Baby Monitor (and other similar apps) is to e-mail an SMS to the mobile number of your choice, so that you get a text message to notify you of noise at the iPhone end. It's not ideal - as you can't listen in to what the iPhone can hear - but it's still better than nothing.

However, even this won't work for me, as my wife is also an O2 customer - and as far as I know, O2 Ireland don't have a e-mail to SMS gateway. To explain: This normally takes the form of an e-mail address using a phone number - so sending an e-mail to XXXXXXXXXX@o2SMS.ie would see that e-mail arrive as a text at the XXX mobile number.

Are the mods aware if there is now an O2 e-mail to SMS gateway? I believe there wasn't one before because of the old iPhone's inability to receive MMS.

Alternatively, can anybody recommend a third-party service (paid for is fine) - that provides this function and that *works* with Irish O2 mobile numbers?

Thanks!
Gold Advisor
copacetic

Re: E-mail to SMS Gateway for O2 - any suggestions?

I asked about this last year for another app and was told that no O2 didn't have one. Don't think MMS would have any affect on that as its nothing to do with the iphone really. This feature would have been useful for many people long before the iphone came along
Silver Contributor
morganmc

Alternatively, can anybody recommend a third-party service (paid for is fine) - that provides this function and that *works* with Irish O2 mobile numbers?

I know Go2Mobile (http://go2mobile.com/) provide that type of service for a business environment, but not sure if they do the same for home applications, might be worth a look though!
O2_Daryll
Topics: 584
Kudos: 8,781
Solutions: 1,032

I am sorry but as has been said it is not a option we offer. You could I suppose as a temporary fix roll back the software to pre 3.0 but this probably won't work now that I think about it a bit more.

Leave it with me and I will think of a solution for you (hopefully)
New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Bronze Contributor
brendandonloldOLD

Thanks, Daryl - much appreciated.

If all else fails, I'm going to try this - it only seems to cost €30 for 200 e-mail to SMS messages, which should do me until the wee fella starts college!

http://www.esendex.ie/Services/Email-SMS/